What is a utility model?
A utility model is a result of intellectual activity of a person in any sphere of technology, i.e. object of which can be the product, process or any new applicability of earlier existed product or process.
A utility model shall only meet the following requirements:
• industrial applicability.
The patent cannot be granted for the utility models that contradict public order and principals of humanity and morality.
How to protect your utility model?
1. Before applying for a patent, the patent search shall be conducted to check if the applied object satisfies the requirements provided by law and to determine the existence of similar objects.
2. Upon sufficient results of the patent search, the application can be drafted and filed.
The following information is required for application filing:
• name, surname, address of the applier of the object (if the author and the applier is not the same person, name, surname, address of the author);
• description of the utility model (and schemes if they were addressed in the description);
• formula of the utility model;
• Power of Attorney (signed and sealed), if the applicant is a non-resident of Ukraine.
3. After the submission of the application, the formal examination is conducted by the Ukrainian Patent Office, which is meant to check if the application meets formal requirements. Substantive examination is not conducted by the Office.
Upon the successful result of the examination, the decision as to granting the patent is issued.
The patent is issued after the official fee is paid.
Term of protection
The application fee is paid within 2 months after the submission of the application.
Fee for issuance of the patent is paid within 3 months.
The annual fee is required to maintain a patent in force.