The Ministry of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine has approved a list of priority geographical indications, on the registration of which the EU-supported Geographical Indications in Ukraine project will work.
The first Ukrainian products with geographical indications will be (working titles):
- wine – “Shabsky”, “Yalpug”, “Transcarpathia”, “Belgorod-Dniester”;
- cheese – “Hutsul sheep cheese”;
- watermelon – “Kherson watermelon”;
- sweet cherry – “Melitopol sweet cherry”;
- honey – “Carpathian honey”.
Nowadays there are 15 registered geographical indications (appellations of origin) for Ukrainian goods – 8 for mineral water and 7 for wine.
The discussion of new designations for alcoholic beverages that are protected in the European Union continues in Ukraine. In accordance with the association agreement with the EU, Ukrainian manufacturers are obliged to stop using geographical indications legally protected in Europe until 2026.