On December 1, 2022, the Parliament of Ukraine adopted special legislation defining the specifics of preparation for registration, use and protection of geographical indications for agricultural products (agricultural goods), food products, wines, flavored wine products, and spirits.
The adopted law implements the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2019/787 into Ukrainian legislation and ensures proper convergence of national legislation in the field of geographical indications of alcoholic beverages and in the field of alcoholic beverage production to EU standards.
With the adoption of this Law, comprehensive regulation of relations in the field of geographical indications of alcoholic beverages is introduced by:
- clarification of terms in the field of geographical indications of alcoholic beverages;
- introduction of categories of alcoholic beverages for which geographical indications will be registered;
- determination of features of preparation for registration of geographical indications of alcoholic beverages;
- establishment of special requirements for the specifications of alcoholic beverages with geographical indications and the procedure for their approval;
- determining the specifics of the use and protection of geographical indications of alcoholic beverages, as well as establishing responsibility for violations in this area;
- introduction of a system of control over geographical indications of alcoholic beverages.