On December 16, 2021, the Parliament of Ukraine adopted the bill “On Amendments to Certain Laws of Ukraine Concerning Public Health from the Harmful Effects of Tobacco”. The document strengthens the protection of Ukrainians, especially children, and young people, from the harmful effects of tobacco products and brings Ukrainian anti-tobacco legislation in line with Directive 2014/40/EU.
The bill provides for the following innovations:
- The size of the combined medical warning about the dangers of smoking (text and graphics) on packs of tobacco products will increase from 50 to 65% of their area. Warnings will contain realistic representations of smoking-related illnesses and will be updated annually. This size of graphic images has been introduced in all states of the European Union.
- Prohibition of the sale of electronic cigarettes and liquids used in electronic cigarettes, devices for the consumption of tobacco products without burning them, to persons under 18 years of age, as well as advertising, sponsorship, and promotion of sales of such products.
- Implementation of requirements for labeling of packages of electronic cigarettes, liquids, refueling containers, and smokeless tobacco products.
- It is forbidden to use flavoring additives (fruit, berry, etc.) in any components of tobacco products and electronic cigarettes. Such products most often attract children and young people who do not yet have the bad habit of smoking, creating a false impression about the less harmful effects of tobacco use.
- A complete ban on advertising on the Internet, incl. in social networks.
The list of places where smoking, consumption, use of tobacco products, electronic cigarettes, refueling containers, devices for consuming tobacco products without burning them, and hookahs are prohibited is also expanding. The only place where it is proposed to leave the possibility of allotment of smoking areas inside the building is the airports.
Local authorities will be able to additionally define smoke-free places within their communities.
The norms of the law will gradually come into force and all innovations will come into force in 2 years from the date of its publication.