On October 13, 2020, the government of Ukraine adopted an order “On the National Intellectual Property Body”, according to which the functions of the National IP Agency will be performed by the state enterprise “Ukrainian Institute of Intellectual Property”.
Minister of Economic Development, Trade, and Agriculture of Ukraine Igor Petrashko noted that the adoption of the order will create a legal basis for the start of functioning of the National Intellectual Property Body on October 14, which will serve as a single window for the issuance of documents of title to intellectual property.
National IP Agency will perform, in particular, the following functions:
- accepting applications for state registration of copyright and agreements concerning the author’s right to a work;
- acceptance of applications for registration of industrial property objects and their examination (inventions, utility models, industrial designs, trademarks, geographical indications, layouts of semiconductor products);
- issuance of patents, certificates;
- implementation of training, certification, and registration of patent attorneys;
- ensuring the activities of collegial bodies (the Chamber of Appeal, the Commission for the coordination of issues on the introduction of a designation containing the official name “Ukraine” of the trademark, Attestation and Appeal commissions);
- performing the functions of the International Searching Authority and the International Preliminary Examining Authority in accordance with the Agreement with the World Intellectual Property Organization.
The Ministry of Economy will continue to ensure the formation and implementation of state policy in the field of intellectual property.