What is a utility model?
A utility model is a technical solution related to the devices, i.e. constructions and products. Utility models include the constructive implementation of the means of production and commodities, as well as their components.
A utility model shall only meet the following requirements:
• industrial applicability.
The patent cannot be granted for the utility models that contradict public order and principals of humanity and morality.
How to protect your utility model?
1. Before applying for registration of the utility model, the patent search shall be conducted to check if the applied object satisfies the requirements provided by law and to determine the existence of similar objects.
2. Upon sufficient results of the patent search, the application can be drafted and filed.
Data required for application:
• Name, surname, address of the applier of the object (if the author and the applier is not the same person, name, surname, address of the author),
• Description of the utility model (and schemes if they were addressed in the description),
• The formula of the utility model,
• Power of Attorney (signed and sealed).
After the submission of the application, the formal examination is conducted by the Russian Patent Office within 2 months, which is meant to check if the application meets formal requirements.
Upon the successful result of the formal examination, the substantive examination is conducted within 12-15 months, after the official fee is paid.
If the application passes all stages of the check, the decision as to granting the patent is issued. The patent is issued after the official fee is paid.
Term of protection
The application fee is paid with the application or within 2 months.
The substantive examination fee is paid with the application fee.
Fees for issuance of the patent is paid within 2 months.
The annual fee is required to maintain a patent in force.