What is industrial design?
Industrial design is a new artistic and design decision of a product that determines its appearance.
The industrial design cannot contradict public order and principals of humanity and morality.
Decisions, the character of which is determined only by the technical function of the product and the decisions, that mislead the consumer as to the producer, place of production or the item for which the product is made, cannot be registered as industrial design.
Data required for application
1. Applicant’s information:
a) Name, surname and the address for an individual;
b) Legal name and legal address for a legal entity;
c) If the author and the applier is not the same person: name, surname, address of the author.
2. Power of Attorney (signed and sealed)
3. Description of the industrial design
4. A set of product images giving a complete detailed picture of the appearance of the product.
How to protect your industrial design?
1. Before applying for registration of the industrial design, the patent search shall be conducted to check if the applied object satisfies the requirements provided by law and to determine the existence of similar objects.
2. Upon sufficient results of the patent search, the application can be drafted and filed.
After the submission of the application, the formal examination is conducted by the Russian Patent Office within 2 months, which is meant to check if the application meets formal requirements. Upon the successful result of the formal examination, the substantive examination is conducted within 12-15 months, after the official fee is paid.
If the application passes all stages of the check, the decision as to granting the patent is issued.
The patent is issued after the official fee is paid within 2 months.
Term of protection
5 years can be renewed for more 5 years but no longer than 25 years totally.
The application fee is paid with the application or within 2 months after the submission of the application.
The substantive examination fee is paid with the application fee.
Fees for issuance of the patent is paid within 2 months.
The annual fee is required to maintain a patent in force.